Sunday 21 December 2008

you know
Dasher and Dancer, and Prancer and Vixen;
Comet and Cupid, and Donner and Blitzen?

well, did you know:

“The famous Christmas song Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer started life as a poem created by an American advertising executive called Robert May. He was requested to produce a poem that could be given away to children by the Santa Claus employed by Department Stores at Christmas! Working as an Advertising Executive, Robert May had a natural flair with words and was able to compose the Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer poem which was specifically designed to appeal to children. This marketing ploy was a massive success and approximately 2.5 million Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer poems were given away in the first year of its publication! In 1949 the singer Gene Autry recorded a musical version of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer composed by Johnny Marks."
.
so, now you know. . .

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness - I've just realised- we'll see them at Youngest's wedding! (Well hopefully not at the actual wedding).
It's officially Sweden but really it's one of the bits of Lapland. And they have reindeer to meet you at the airport or somewhere.
Coo!
I can accompany RTRNR on my fiddle :) With twiddly bits :)

Rimshot said...

"twiddly bits"

YAY!

Sorrow said...

Did not have a clue!
but now i know!
thanks for the treats!

Latharia said...

Thanks for the seasonal history lesson! :) It sure did become a catchy little tune *humming along*!

I, Like The View said...

(-:

Mel said...

:-)

*humming along*

k.....I'm gonna be hummin' RTRNR while I find something warm to consume.....

*humming happily*

I, Like The View said...

everywhere I've been today, I've heard various versions of Santa Baby

none of those things are on my list, or ever have been. . . but the song is so gorgeous and is the tune in my head. . .

(-: