Monday 1 December 2008

doing my part


In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, long ago.
..
Our God, heaven cannot hold Him, nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away when He comes to reign.
In the bleak midwinter a stable place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.
.
Enough for Him, Whom cherubim, worship night and day,
Breastful of milk, and a mangerful of hay;
Enough for Him, Whom angels fall before,
The ox and ass and camel which adore.
.
Angels and archangels may have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim thronged the air;
But His mother only, in her maiden bliss,
Worshipped the beloved with a kiss.
.
What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.

CHRISTINA ROSSETTI 1872

.

12 comments:

Z said...

My grandchildren have given me an Advent calendar!

I, Like The View said...

you can open the first window now!

here in my Home Sweet Home, Mini-Teen has a cats and kittens themed calendar, Middle One has a religious themed calendar and The Teen has a tripytich* fold out German village. . .

(*can't work out how to spell that)

I put them up mid-week and in true children's style they all wanted to open all the window straight away - but they resisted, and even more amazing noone complained about the fact they are "the pictures only, no chocolate"

hope you find something lovely behind the window!

(-:

Rimshot said...

no chocolate?!?!?!?

Mel said...

LOL @ rimshot

We turned up the volume.....cuz it's one of himself's favorite hymns.

He even sang along.
What a gorgeous hymn.
And what beautiful voices they lifted.

(((((((((( ILTV )))))))))))

Thank you--from himself, too!

Rimshot said...

NO CHOCOLATE?!?!?!?

I, Like The View said...

no, shot, sorry - but then you're sweet enough without needing chocolate

I'm so glad Mel!! I got something special for him. . . very special! (not here - it's not Christmassy enough)

Zig said...

pinch punch!
I had a chocolate robin in mine!

xxx

Romeo Morningwood said...

This year our little guy's advent Calendar features the characters from Kung Fu Panda...
another icon to add to the Crizzmust pantheon.

If only every Month had a countdown?

Ho Ho Ho

katherine. said...

advent calendars.

big tradition in our house too.

(and I've got a young man complaining it doesn't have chocolate too!!)

Rimshot said...

NO CHOCOLATE?!?!?!

I, Like The View said...

no shot, still no chocolate (but I did try and send you a Hershey's Kiss on FaceBook today, to make up - dunno if you got it, I'm rubbish at FB)

two open windows this end, katherine, The Teen's forgotten his!

donn don't think we've had a kung-fu panda here yet, mine are still all pretending they are too old for Madagasgar II (but I know secretly they want to watch it)

zigz ouch! yum!

Anonymous said...

I'm behind with the childrens' advent calendars. Cos I was away see. And I don't know if they want them now they're so old and grown-up!
(But when I do get them they'll have LOTS of windows to open all at once :)